Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Food First: Millet

I've decided that any time Ian and I use an ingredient for the first time, I'll feature it here and call it "Food First."  I wish that I had started this sooner, but blogging has been a learn-as-I-go experiment.

Tonight we are making millet for the first time.


Ian tried toasting it before pressure cooking it, since we're looking for light and fluffy texture; but as we'd rinsed the millet, it simply left a starchy film in the cooker.  So, we skipped that and added water, a little vegetable stock and salt.

Light and fluffy, it is not.  But, it tastes good.  It has just a hint of bitterness that adds an interesting depth.  We cooked 1 cup of millet to 1 3/4 cup water/broth mix on high pressure for ten minutes and then turned off the heat, waited for another ten minutes before opening the lid (to let the pressure come down while it still cooks).
Millet with shiitake and tofu in white sauce and a cabbage & spinach salad.

Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Your dinner looks very good. I only made millet once, and did it wrong. I did not rinse it and it was too bitter as a result. Yours looks very good!

    ReplyDelete