Thursday, April 8, 2010

Important Korean Words and Phrases, Revisited

Mom will be here in about two weeks.  I've been in planning mode for the past few days.  I had Gene type up a statement for mom (that I will put on a card for her) that says she's a vegetarian, but seafood is okay (no chicken, pork or beef); but I'm also going to write down some words and phrases she should know.  We won't be with her all the time, and I'd like her to be as confident and comfortable as possible. 

So, I thought I'd do some brainstorming here and post some very basic things that would come in handy for any traveler.  I've written them in the Roman alphabet because my keyboard doesn't do Korean (it takes a very long time to find the Hangeul on the net to copy).  When I give Mom her cheat sheet, it will have both the Hangeul (to point to) and the Roman pronunciation.

The Basics
Hello!:  Anyong haseyo!
Goodbye: Anyong-i kay-seyo (if you're leaving) / Anyong-i kah-seyo (if you're staying)
Yes:  Ne/ Ye
No:  Aniyo (or ani)
Please:  Chuseyo.
Thank you.:  Kamsa hamnida. (said as if it's one word without the 'h')
You're welcome.:  Chon maneyo.
United States of America:  Miguk.

Getting Places
Where: Odiro (it's important to listen for the 'odi' when it changes grammatically)
Here:  Yogi
There:  Kogi
Left:  Wentchogui
Right:  Oruntchogui
Straight: Ttokparun

Food
Rice:  Bap
Noodle:  Myun
Side dish:  Banchan
Vegetables:  Yachae (Namul is commonly used for mixed wild greens)
Water:  Mul
Salt:  Sogum
Chopsticks:  Chokkarak 
Spoon:  sukkarak
English menu: Yonga menu

Numbers/Money
1:  il
2:  i (ee)
3:  sam
4:  sa
5:  oh
Hundred:  Baek
Thousand:  Chon

Phrases
Do you speak English?:  Yonga-rul hashimnikka?
How much is it?Ol mayeyo?
I'm sorry.:  Choesung hamnida.
I don't understand.:  Moruget sumnida ("Malayo" is a little less formal)
Where is the toilet?:  Hwajangshil odi issoyo?  (that's asking where an American style toilet is)

A Note
"Issoyo" and "opsoyo" are the most important words to recognize in Korean.  "Issoyo" is the affirmative, meaning "It is" and "I have" and it can be used grammatically to express all sorts of things.  "Opsoyo" is the negative, "It isn't" and "I don't have."


Is there anything big that I left out?  What would you feel you needed to know if you were coming to Korea?

Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, I better get good at saying I'm sorry and I don't understand. You know how I over think it. I will start practicing now.
    you better add your address to that card, so I can ask how to get back to your place.

    I am excited !!

    ReplyDelete