Saturday, April 3, 2010

Business as Usual

Easter is not celebrated in South Korea.  In fact, it is difficult to find any information on the web about it.  Christmas is widely observed and urbanites in Seoul celebrate Halloween, but no Easter.  Ian and I have no concrete plans for tomorrow.  A few of the teachers are getting together in the park and we may join them, but it's undecided.

Neither Ian nor I are religious, but Easter is another chance for families to get together and enjoy each other's company.  So, we'll be thinking about home this weekend, missing our families and the goodies that come with holiday gatherings.  My grandmother makes these fudgy peanut butter eggs that I've been day dreaming about for days.  I've just got to remind myself that it's only a year (well, we've only 5 months left on our contracts now) and when we get home we intend to be so involved our folks get sick of us. 

While Ian and I were walking to the gym we noticed a lot of egg refuse on the street.  It was as if the place had been egged with cooked eggs.  When we were returning home, there were a few people hanging our hard boiled eggs.  They gave us each one.

We don't know what the papers said.  Something about Easter?  There are many churches in our neighborhood.  Maybe Spring equinox?  Who knows, but Ian ate them with salt (I'm not a huge lover of eggs, myself).

We went to see Clash of the Titans with Ben this evening.  I'm happy to report that it was much better than I had anticipated; but, I'm growing tired of blockbuster films.  They're the only ones that make it here.  I can't wait to find a new art house cinema to patronize when we return.  The Grand Cinema, in Tacoma, will always have a place in my heart, but we'll have to find a new favorite in Portland.

We've seen over twenty blockbusters since we've been here (we're missing a couple of tickets).  We probably would never have chosen many of them if we were stateside.

Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried to look online regarding the hard boiled egg bonanza? Maybe ask Gene when you return to work , as I am curious.

    I think it is great that you saved your tickets, are you making a scrap book of your Korean experience? I think you should.
    Happy Easter! I love you both! WE MISS YOU

    ReplyDelete