Thursday, October 29, 2009

Let the Halloween Festivities Begin!

This morning we were greeted by a mailman at our door with a package for us from Justin.  We were really stoked and actually having it delivered was simply icing on the cake.



The package awaits us.





Well, it awaited me while I finished talking to Mom about our (then) missing check we sent home.





Ian is done waiting!






The coffee smelled really good. And we got hats!





And we got a moka pot!



The goods: a card, a winter hat for me, white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, moka pot (with instructions), Starbucks espresso, a winter hat for Ian, a hand held tetris game, and three excellent Lindt bar.  Thank you, Justin!


Today we started our Halloween unit.  Both Ian and I were busy all day, making copies and creating activities.  We didn't use the book at all, but neither of us had trouble filling our class times.  The kids seemed to really like it.  For the little kids we did things like making masks, drawing Halloween scenes, and doing Halloween themed word searches.  The older kids had crossword puzzles, monster riddles and video clips (namely, "This is Halloween" from The Nightmare Before Christmas) followed by a writing exercise/ discussion.  All the kids got candy in my classes for saying "trick or treat" at the beginning of class and then for answering correctly.  It was a pretty great day; I can tell it's going to be a fun week.



Some of my Beginner 2 (about 10 years old Korean age) kids modeling their masks.  From left to right: Gabriel, Kevin, Jose (pronounced Josey), Jennifer, Kaitlyn, and Robert.


I'm reading one of the books that Erin sent us (Travels with Charley by Steinbeck).  I'm completely in love with it.  The book is an autobiographical account of a roadtrip he took with with his dog across the US.  I'll be sure to write a review when I've finished it, but so far, I fully recommend it.


Good night!

4 comments:

  1. Tetris! That is going to be so addicting. I sometimes steal Dominic's phone just so I can play tetris on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Justin is a creative gifter, isn't he? Our package does not contain such cool things but, hopefully, it will help.

    I hope you can incorporate more American holidays in your lesson plans. Why not do Thanksgiving, St. Patrick's Day, Cinco de Mayo, and other holidays like that which probably aren't celebrated in Korea? It would be a good learning experience for them and fun for you to plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the kids will be enjoying a fun and educationally filled week.

    Casey, how is the new closet (office) working out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't played the game, yet, but I'm sure Ian will be addicted in no time. :)

    We completely intend to do weekly units on every American holiday that comes around. It's one way to stay sane and feel connected to our own culture and the kids seem to like it.

    The "office" is tiny and pretty isolated, but at least I have my own space. And, I found out that there's wireless, I just need the password. Here's hoping it's not in Korean characters, otherwise I can't log onto it.

    ReplyDelete