Sunday, October 11, 2009

An Evening with David Beckham, Tom Cruise and ... That One Kid from High School Musical 3

I will be keeping this short and to the point because I just got back and I'm very tired, so forgive the brevity. 



Today Ian and I walked to down town to pick up some things that we've wanted, but couldn't get because we are so poor.


We got cleaning supplies, a bathroom scale and computer speakers among other things.  Maybe not super exciting, but it's nice to be able to buy things without sacrificing grocery money.


We had to go to Hi Mart to get the scale.  Hi Mart is a little like Korean Best Buy, only not as good.  You're not supposed to take pictures in this particular store, but we got some on the sly.



This is the outside of a counter top dish washer.




And the inside.




This is a stove top, but instead of an oven, you'll find a dishwasher inside.  I was a little disappointed.




Some graffiti about Americans near the Lotte Supercenter.  I don't know how to go about translating it.


 

This morning when we walked around Sinback (our neighborhood) we were stopped three times and handed four packs of tissues.  They are advertisements for a church.  The left side is the front of the packet and the right side is the back with service times and info.


We had a pretty bad experience in a restaurant this afternoon.  We went in and ordered kimbop.  We ordered it (in our extremely rudimentary Korean) "no ham, no meat, no seafood."  The waitress tries to ask us something in Korean, when we don't understand her, she just repeats herself louder.  Eventually she brings us our order.  But, there's ham in it.  So, Ian tries to explain that we don't eat ham and that we'd like some kimbop without it.  He even uses the unwanted ham as a prop.  The woman simply does not understand us, she doesn't try to fix it even though it's obvious that it's wrong.  Instead, she just talks at us loudly and pushes the soup (a standard kimbop side) toward us.  Ian tries to explain again and again for the next five minutes, but the woman just looks at us and then awkwardly laughs with her coworker.  So, Ian gave her W2,000 and we left having not touched the food.  She tried to refuse the money, but he made her take it.  Being a vegetarian here can be pretty rough.  It's another good reason we eat in so often.


We went over to SJ's tonight for a mini house party get together with the teachers.  It was so much fun.  Ian and I didn't drink much.  Though we did find a half way decent dark beer at the store.  We're not big fans of soju.  It breaks your brain.  We just sat around and listened to music (most of the teachers have good taste, thankfully) and talked.  Ian and I discovered that pretty much everyone is just as gekky as we are.  And many of them have a better film viewing repetoir than us.  It's a pretty great crowd.  I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures, there wasn't much to memorialize.  Plus, I don't want to annoy anyone with incessant photo taking. 


Pete said that he was told (here in Korea) that he looks like David Beckham.  I think he does a little.  Then Jeff said he had gotten Nick Cage (he was not pleased, but I don't think he has any reason to worry).  Matt had been told he looked like Jude Law and we teased that he looked more like Tom Cruise.  Albert apparently looks like a kid from high school musical.  Terrible Americans may say that all Asians look alike, but Koreans think that all white people look like celebrities.  Pretty funny.


We are going to Wonju tomorrow to shop for some winter wear.  I hope I can find some inexpensive stuff because I don't want to freeze, but I also don't want to spend all our money.  It's about a forty minute bus ride, so I'll be sure to document our trip.


Good night/morning!

2 comments:

  1. I've been informed that it was actually Tom Hanks and not Tom Cruise. My mistake, Tom Hanks is much better, my apologies for the downgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So who are the celeb look-alikes for you and Ian?

    Glad you're finding friends who you can relate to and relax with!

    ReplyDelete