Tuesday, September 29, 2009

11 to go!

We've managed our first month in Asia pretty well.  We're learning some of the language and getting more comfortable.  I can't believe we've been here a month.  I still miss my family everyday, but a year here seems more reasonable all the time.  Save for Julia, you could almost say things are going smoothly.  I think it will help when we get paid and have the opportunity to see Seoul, Busan and other cities.  We feel a little stuck without any money to travel.  Our paycheck on October 10th will be a welcome relief.  Plus, with more money to do things, comes more things to blog about.  I'm running on empty here.


On a random note, I think I'm coming down with a cold or something.  Nobody understands the whole "cover your mouth" concept here, so illness is inevitable.  The contradictions and misguided-ness about health and contagion here is startling.  I guess it's one of the best reminders that South Korea only "recently" became an industrialized nation.


Ian and I found "Hershey's with Almonds" (the big ones) at a little family store near our house.  Why a tiny store has it and not Lotte Mart, I don't know.  I also don't know why they have the almond ones and not the plain ones.  It doesn't matter, as Ian and I are so pleased.  This discovery will help us savor the candy my family sent us even more.  At home, Hershey's is regarded as the epitome of average chocolate.  Here, it is the best stuff ever.  Asian chocolate is no good.  It's a bit waxy and devoid of any richness.


Today, in one of my classes the students' books call for them to draw and label their family.


I definitely took the time to draw my own on the board.  I'm such a good teacher.


Ian's become a real hard ass in his classes.  Today one of his student's was being (in Ian's words) "a douche" so he startled him by going "BAH!" in his face.  The boy whipped back and slammed his head into the wall.  Ian just laughed at him with the rest of the class.  This is what Korea does to you.  You should hear the other teachers talk.  But, in our defense, these children are not only spoiled rotten, they are pushed to their limit.  So, everyday we deal with snotty kids displacing their anger.


I've only briefly looked at the comments from last night's blog.  I'll take a better look and respond directly to you folks tomorrow morning.  I appreciate your thoughts!  Remember, if there's something you'd like to see us post about, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Ian definitely takes after me. Whenever I helped in their classes or worked as a substitute classroom aide, I always wanted to do that kind of stuff, too. And it's why I realized I don't have the patience to be a teacher. :) So, is that OK that he does that? Is it typical for teachers there?

    When you say the kids are "pushed to their limit", do you mean that their lives are overly-structured. It's been like that in Japan for awhile now so maybe Korea is copying that?

    Glad you found Hershey's and that payday is getting closer and closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These kids sound as if they need a little time that is not structured. Do they have every minute of each day planned for them?

    YOu need to find some astragulas to keep your immune system strong. I am sure they have it somewhere there, if not I will send it to you. But you have to promise to take it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could maybe find that at a traditional pharmacy, but it'd be a difficult task.

    Every hour of every day is structured, sometimes kids' parents over book them. These are the parents that think it's okay for their kid to show up 30 minutes late to my class.

    ReplyDelete